Monday, June 20, 2011

Cymbidium Orchid - "Night Angel"

This is the first month of winter in our part of the world and it means that fabulous cymbidium orchids started it's seasonal flowering again. Many of my plants very busy at the moment, developing new flower spikes and ready to to put up a show. It's nice to see some of my old plants growing strong as well as discovering new and unusual first-time for me bloomers.

Right now earlier flowering varieties started to show their flowers and one of them this cymbidium Night Angel. It's parents "Sylvania" x "Something Fabulous" and it looks like a very interesting cross. The flowers predominantly pink with slight stripes and a bit of luminous quality to them offset by darker velvety middle - very nice combination.
I got a couple of small seedlings of this variety some time ago and this is it's first flowering, so only a few blooms on each flower spike this season, but it looks like "Night Angel" will be another beautiful addition to my cymbidium orchid collection.

14 comments:

  1. An unsual and a very pretty Cymbidium, with beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, do I love this one. Pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous colouring! It's always a treat to pop by and see beauties like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Night Angel, another beautiful Orchid which you show us.Its time for our single Orchid which flowers indoors from October till Christmas to have some company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of the most beautiful orchids I have ever seen. Lovely coloring and hues and form. Excellent photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and unusual. For some reason I keep thinking it looks like an insect of some sorts! A giant one but still...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really beautiful. I hope you will post more as more of your orchids bloom, I will be looking forward to reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your orchids are so gorgeous -- colors I have never seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind comments and for allowing me to share with you the beauty of "Night Angel".
    So many hybrids been made with cymbidium genus, originated from fewer than 20 parent species and this is one of them.The current trend is to create smaller, compact plants and I suspect that "Night Angel" have some old oriental variety somewhere in the background - they have more "spidery" looking flowers, smaller size plants and beauty all of their own. There are records of them been cultivated in Japan and China for more than 2000 years and are much prized for their special blooms, compact appearance and longer flowering season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My neighbor grows the most gorgeous orchids in a greenhouse. Fortunately for me, he shares... :)

    Beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, it is so beautiful that stops my breath!
    Moving Companies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I had the room to grow Cymbidiums, but one can't do everything. This is especially lovely and does indeed look like an older hybrid, but to my thinking is all the more attractive for that.

    ReplyDelete