Thursday, January 27, 2011

Oda. Shine Gate x Oda. Wearside Pattern















This beautiful odontoglossum cross orchid flowering at the moment - its a cross between Shine Gate and Wearside Pattern and it's producing hot pink relaxed blooms with many contrast markings on the petals. The flowers are really nice and one can't miss it in the greenhouse - bold, vibrant splashers of color is what this cross all about.

Odontoglossum genus native to Andes and freely grow mostly in cloud forests in constantly cool, wet habitats at altitudes above 5000 ft(1500m). The flowers of this genus is mostly large and showy and these orchids are very popular among growers with cool orchid houses.
Having said that, they are not the easiest orchids to cultivate and need a bit of dedication to bring them to flower. The trick , like with many orchids of course, trying to duplicate as close as possible their natural growing conditions - they require constant watering and high humidity with good air movement and a lot of shade, particularly in our hot summer conditions. At the same time, they don't like a lot of moisture in the leaf axils, so it's kind of constant search for a balance with these one's.

Still, a beautiful creation by Nature that conjures up image of exotic, delicate, rare, romantic, spectacular blooms and an interesting challenge for someone like me to be able to grow them and to reveal and appreciate their special beauty, vibrations and diversity.

10 comments:

  1. I wish I had more room for these. Used to grow a few of them, but do not have any of them any more. This is gorgeous and the patterning is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That orchid is absolutely psychedelic. I have never seen colors on a flower like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You grew these? Congratulations! They really are beautiful. But am I he only one who sees scary/funny faces in the petals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the most unique orchids. Your cross above is amazing. I am so bored with my Phals each time I visit your blog. My big thrill is four of them are on the fourth year of bloom. I wish I could cross and make new varieties, now that would be a real thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that Deb mentioned it, I see "Scream" in the petals. This doesn't make the petal pattern any less interesting. I'm amazed at the markings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I can plant this orchid in my garden. But so far It's so hard to survive in my garden ;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen this one. It's very attractive! Thank you Klara for commenting on my blog. I hear what you are saying about vegetable gardening, but you are so busy with fruit trees, herbs and orchids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful patterns in the petals of this orchid. I so admire your knowledge and ability to successfully grow these amazing plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only applaud your dedication! Outstanding bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your comments and for be able to show to you this beautiful odontoglossum.

    ReplyDelete