Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oncidium chrysomorphum orchid x Oda.(Cherubino x Wearside Pattern)


There are many hundreds of handsome hybrids made with Oncidium orchids and with closely to them related genera. Some of them quite complex and complicated and this is one of them. It's Onc. Chrysomorphum x Oda. (Cherubino x Wearside Pattern) and it's currently in flower.

My orchid flowers at the end of our autumn/ early winter with masses of bright, yellow/orange blooms with many long flowering arching spikes that about 50 cm long. It's slightly fragrant, just a hint of cinnamon , not overpowering and very pleasing. It's always nice to see vibrant flamboyant colors in autumn and winter and I get my "color therapy" fix from this one.

Despite its complicated background it's quite easy to cultivate and to bring it to flower, it like well-drained bark mix and plenty of moisture during warm weather with less watering during colder months. It can be mounted on tree-fern slabs or cork mounts.

It's another beautiful orchid to have in one's collection that rewards with exotic, special, colorful, flamboyant blooms.



12 comments:

  1. Your post is inspiring me to feed my 4 outdoor orchid plants, which I have been neglecting! Your orchids are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pleasure to see so many and such beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what beautiful orchids you grow! Such profusion of flowers, and fragrant too. It looks really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I've never attempted to grow orchids, but now I just may have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments, this one is quite interesting cross and the colors are so vibrant! It's one of the easiest orchids to cultivate - minimum input, maximum enjoyment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your posts has taught me how many varieties of orchids there are. I am learning lots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am encouraged to try an Oncidium after reading your post today. I saw one like this at the botanical gardens and am getting the courage to get beyond my Phanaenopsis. Oncidium are commonly sold here, so I guess I just need to give it a try. Maybe aa beauty like you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What bright vibrant colors this orchid has!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are brilliant. I never knew how the flower is called, though we have it growing in my grandmother's garden for ages.

    ReplyDelete