Saturday, June 17, 2017

Phalaenopsis spp orchids

phalaenopsis violacea var Gene Tobia

phalaenopsis bellina

Couple of my phalaenopsis spp orchids flowering at the moment, it’s always nice to see these beauties in bloom.
There are about 60 species of this genus, including some of the most popular orchids in cultivation. Most of the species grow in hot, steamy lowlands, but a few are adapted to the cooler climates and higher altitudes.
Generally they grow in the habitats that are moist and humid year-around and they have large leaves and very short steams.


My phalaenopsis violacea var Gene Tobia flowers with large, yellow blooms that are fragrant, this specie native to  northwestern Sumatra

And phalaenopsis bellina grows in Malay Peninsula and Borneo in low altitudes in shady, humid forests often near a streams, it’s very fragrant and have strong, fruity perfume.

With these species the flowers always open progressively so I never see more than one flower on the flower spike. Each spike itself can re bloom a few times. Both of these orchids been with me for many many moons and I always look forward seeing them in bloom at this time of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Klara,
    Your orchids are a feast to my eyes. So beautiful. And the leaves are really large. I remember the orchid on the 2nd photo Growing in a botanical garden. A wonderful experience.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the visit Marijke, I am glad you like these phal's

      Delete