Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bulbophyllum orchid - var lobbii


Bulbophyllum huge genus numbers more than two thousand species and these are widely distributed in most tropical parts of the world, with a concentration in New Guinea where more than six hundred species occur. All species are grow on rocks or on trees.
Because of the large number of species and wide distribution, it is difficult to generalise about this genus. While those species which are highly ornamental or distinct novelties have become well known in cultivation, by the large very few species of Bulbophyllum are commonly grown - this is a great disappointment for many species are rewarding subjects and adapt well to cultivation.

My Bulbophyllum orchid is var lobbii (named after Thomas Lobb, original collector) - its a wonderful orchid valued for its large, interesting flowers which have fragrance similar to cucumbers. Its native to Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia, commonly grows in the mountains at altitudes of 1000 - 5000 m and its quite happy growing in my garden outside. It likes filtered light and plenty of air movement. Currently I've been growing it in the pots but waiting until spring time to mount it on a tree fern slab so it can show off its beautiful flowers to full advantage.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Klara! Interesting blooms! Looking very exotic to me. You know what surprised me in this post? That this plant "commonly grows in the mountains". I bet it would not do good in my garden or house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love those flowers. I only grow a few orchids but do enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful blooms and for our climate are cool growing orchids and don't need any special conditions such as heat or mists - thank you for checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for following my blog!
    I do love Orchids, I know nothing about them...maybe that will change from now on?!?LOL
    have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful blooms and for our climate are cool growing orchids and don't need any special conditions such as heat or mists - thank you for checking them out.

    ReplyDelete