Monday, June 29, 2009

Cymbidium Orchid - Death Wish "Saratoga"


We are right in the middle of winter in our part of the world, and it means that its cymbidium orchids flowering season upon us. Many of my orchids are currently in spike and I'll be featuring more of them in this blog.

More than any other genus, cymbidiums been subjected to very intensive selection and breeding programs, resulting in production and registration of many wonderful and unusual hybrids. Here in Australia orchid lovers are spoiled for choices when it comes to these orchids, since we have many dedicated breeders who constantly working in improving quality of breeding gene pool.

The cymbidium orchid in the picture called Death Wish "Saratoga", its a cross between Pywacket x Disney Girl and belong in "novelty" class of cymbidium orchids. It have unusual, bold blooms with large beautiful spotted colored flowers. Its a standard cymbidium with long arching spikes. I've purchased it a couple of years ago and its flowering first time for me. More pictures of this blooming plant down the page.

10 comments:

  1. Orchids are my favorite flower! They are so beautiful and different looking! You are so lucky to live somewhere where you can see them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely and unusual bloom - though I might have picked a better name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one beautiful Cymbidium! Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh - what's with this name? When I asked, I was told that there is a breeder out there in AU with a sense of humor and suggested that one would indeed need a death wish to persevere breeding with diploid (double chromosomes) lines in a current era dominated by tetraploids (four sets of chromosomes in each cell of the plants resulting bigger but fewer blooms). Regardless of its genetic makup, these flowers are quite special and I am sure in the future they will be appearing in a background of many new cymbidium hybrids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice blog...Thanks.
    -The Rock and Roll Gardener in Minnesota, USA
    http://rockandrollgardener.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you're in the middle of winter...you're still growing orchids outside;-) Just kidding...I'd love to have summer weather year round! What an intriguing name for a beautiful flower...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blooms are just stunning!I love the colors and markings :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got a beautiful collection of orchids. I'm envious. :) Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely and unusual bloom - though I might have picked a better name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello,
    I find your blog really great!
    I find this beautiful Cymbidium and I would like to find similar! Could you tell me where you found it? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete