Saturday, January 30, 2016

Some of my flowering dendrobium orchids

These beauties just finished it's flowering season, all of them of the nobile variety and they all bloom with masses of colorful scented flowers.
They are one of the popular cultivated orchids and in nature can be found in the area of the Himalayas from India to southern China in deciduous forests, mostly in moderate altitudes. It's a widespread specie with many forms and varieties.

My plants don't get any special attention, all of them grow under the shade of the trees, with occasional watering during hot summer months, they like free draining situation and in our climate they bloom in late spring well into the summer. The flowers are long lasting, up to six weeks with beautiful scent and I love seeing them at the time when majority of my orchids are resting.

6 comments:

  1. Such a feast for the eyes. They are just divine. How I wish I had your talent for growing Orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, by these amazing blooms of the Dendrobium orchids. They are such wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for checking them out and for your kind comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautifully flowered and gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I planted 4 dendrobium orchid plants in the southern facing window of my house. The plants are getting sunlight from 3.15 pm to 5 pm in the afternoon. Rest of the time, there is sufficient brightness but that is not sunlight. Will my orchids bloom with these conditions?? Please note I am from Odisha,India and when i did buy the orchids they already got their first bloom because I noticed the dry spikes inside them. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Deepak - your dendrobiums should be ok in that position, most of them like filtered shade, and not a full sun otherwise they can burn. If your climate hot and humid, they would need more watering, especially in hot time of the year and total water ban in cooler months. Try to experiment and place a couple of plants in the shade and see which one's growing stronger. I wish you many happy moments with your dendrobiums.

    ReplyDelete